Monday 23 September 2013

Memories of Blessed Rainy Day Celebrated in India, 2013

The Thrue-baap (blessed Rainy day) according to Bhutanese culture and tradition, it is a remarkable and very auspicious day to cherish the bygone monsoon and welcome the beautiful autumn season. According to the astrologers, “all water on the earth is believed to turn holy through the blessings from Buddha Namparnangsay and if we take bath on this day, it is believed that our negative karma with mind and body will be cleansed”.

Back in Bhutan, we the Bhutanese people mark this day with many interesting programmes, starting with special Thukpa (porridge) followed by special tea and lunch but some people go for picnic, some go to monastery and most of the middle age men play archery and young ones play khuru and deygor with dances in beautiful attires. It is also our tradition that wives and other relatives come for cheer up the games with packed lunch and drinks. It is interesting to note that towards the evening we hangout for gatherings with our family, relatives and friends for dinners, drinks and dances.

Away from home, this is my first time celebrating Thrue-baap with my friends in India, and I had many interesting memories as well as some unforgettable memories. We all know that India provides many Bhutanese students to study various courses and in Delhi itself there are more than 100 students studying in various colleges. One week before, our friends from Meerut invited us to celebrate the Thrue-baap at their place together. We accepted their invitation and planned accordingly through phone calls, wechat, whatsapp and other communication facilities.

On 20th September, my friends in Delhi gathered in my place to make preparations and to move from Delhi to Meerut together but in due course of time, we are able to start our journey bit late by 5:30 PM.  Our friends hired two cabs, each carrying 6 passengers, which we believe it is not good number to travel together. Anyhow, we started our journey with full of joy and smiling faces made the journey interesting. We took the way through crowds, crossing numbers of junctions, where full of traffic jams made the journey slow. Moreover, I’m pretty sure that our driver made some blunders as I thought that he took some wrong ways.

Trust me, it is not an exaggeration, we were landed in strange place where I feel both people and the place were totally strange. It was hot, humid, dusty messy and noisy. To me the people I meet was like a Yamraj (the king of death) that we portray during our Tshechu festivals. They were government officials and I knew they were performing their duty but at the same time they were intelligent in robbing through use of wrong powers and wrong interpretations of laws. I felt immensely bitter when my two friends were kept in middle of those cops and torturing with pushing, pulling and harsh words. Our act must be unlawful, and I know the innocent of law has no excuse, but every human being have their fundamental rights. I need not have to mention the due process of law, fair trial and investigations of police because these cops did not intent to be abide by the laws and I can proudly note that they had clear intention to confiscate our drinks for their own consumptions. We had no intention of violating the laws by carrying our drinks from Delhi to Utter Pradesh but it was our personal consumption. At times, I found myself inconsolable with those people and especially with our driver but I still gave a second thought that we are in India. It was unfortunate to mention, may be by 8:30PM, our taxi was suddenly stopped by some polices with their sticks in their hands and took out our drinks that we were carrying for our celebration in Meerut. I was surprised when only two of my friends were interrogated thoroughly and we were not allowed to speak a word. However, after an hour or more of interrogations, my friends were released but our drinks worth of Nu. 8000/- had been confiscated by police.

However, we reached in Meerut by 11:00PM, and our friends were so kind enough that they were passionately waiting for us with sweet words of consoles and tea with biscuits followed by delicious welcome dinner which I felt so warmth from my inner heart for their especial treatment as they took us for walks around the premises for fresh air though my mind was poisoned and polluted by those cops on the way.

It was on 21st September, he real Thrue-baap begins from 6:00 AM with special Thukpa served at their best in one of our friend’s house where we had an opportunity to meet with many new friends and I recognized most of my friends from Delhi were curious to introduce each other but still we began ourselves interacting among the new friends. We enjoyed playing khuru, though we lost our match. Right after the lunch there was a football tournament, which indeed is my best game made me sick for some times as I was playing football after a yearlong break.

Above all, the most interesting part of the event for me was the interaction session and cultural show performed by beautiful young budding dancers and other singers. The group dances were one of the most interesting part of the event because I felt as if we were in Bhutan celebrating the Thrue-baap with our close relatives. I would like to conclude my short note herewith my heartfelt gratitude and sincere thanks to President, Vice President and all members of Bhutan Students Association in Meerut for organizing such event and wonderful hospitality for my team from Delhi.
Tashi Delek!

No comments:

Post a Comment